Sunday, May 20, 2012

One Week Left


Howzit Everyone,

Hopefully everyone is enjoying the hot weather.  I noticed it has been in the 90’s a few times the past few days.  Port Elizabeth has been dealing with some cold 60 degree weather and a few days of rain in the past week.  That’s a South African winter for you.  This is the home stretch for me.  One week from this post I will be back in Minnesota. 

On Friday, we hosted a braai for the staff of our Apartment complex as a thank you for putting up with us for these past four months.  We had to deal with some rain and wind, but it was still a nice afternoon.  On Saturday the volunteers at House of Resurrection were having a family day for the kids, so our whole group went to help but mostly just partake in the fun. 

This afternoon we have a river boat cruise as a group.  It will be kind of a closing activity, one last time to get together as a group for a nice occasion.  There are multiple papers due in the upcoming week, so all of the big adventures are done.  There have been a lot of statements like, “Oh, I’m going to miss that,” in the past week or so.  I expect that to grow even more in this last week.  I am not going to dwell on any of that right now.  I will save most of that for my post next week before I leave.  Right now, though, I’m sitting in the living room of our flat looking out over the Indian Ocean.  That is something I will miss a bit.  The ocean is like a bonfire.  There is something calming about it to the point where a person could sit and watch the waves crest over and over again and not have any thoughts. 

A short post this week, the end is in sight.  Supposedly, the culture shock of returning back home is just as bad or worse than when I first arrived.  I’m not sure how that works, but they have studies.  It’s science.  I also noticed the Twins are on a win streak.  I guess they are struggling this season.  Thanks for reading everyone!  My flight out leaves on Saturday, so look for a post on Friday.

Cheers,
Bobby

1 comment:

  1. Almost done...what an amazing adventure you've had. I've known that you've been in So. Africa looking at the ocean but you saying Indian Ocean...made it seem more surreal somehow.

    Perhaps you can also post some about the cultural shock of home. I'm always curious about new perspectives of things we take for granted.

    Happy Traveling.

    ReplyDelete