Friday, May 25, 2012

Last Week


Hey Everyone,

Well, this is it.  My last week is in the books.  Tomorrow I will board a plane and head back to American soil as a senior in college.  I don’t know where the time went.  It seems like I just got off the plane and am just getting accustom to South Africa.  Life moves on.  Once I get back I will have about two months of summer and work before heading up to Collegeville for football and my senior year.  My time here has been great.  This week has been a rush.  It is finally hitting me that I am leaving.  There first people out have started the parade of people leaving.  I finished all of my papers and tests, so I have a day to see South Africa guilt free. 

 In the classroom.



This last week volunteering was great.  On Monday, the school held Xhosa day for us.  They were so appreciative of our being there that on last Friday they planned the event.  It was a complete surprise to us.  They wanted to hold a day for us to remember them by because they appreciated us so much.  The day was filled with song and dance.  I will always remember the energy and passion that is accompanies each activity of the day.  Towards the end of our trip, the kids all sang and danced for us.  Along with that, the teachers cooked all kinds of traditional Xhosa food for us to eat.  Some of it was good, some of it wasn’t, but the gesture was incredible. 

 More pictures of the crew.



Tuesday was our last day at the school, so we hosted a Family Night for the school.  It was a big event.  We invited every kid along with two family members to the event at the end of the day.  It was a way for us to thank them for our time at the school because we learned so much from them.  We all became very attached to the students.  I know I will miss my kids.  We were at the school all day working on the event.  The kids carried on with their school, but then were let out at 2:00 to go home and get their families and come back at 3:00.  There was a student from my class who waited for his mom to walk him home, so I was able to have a nice talk with him.  There were two students who didn’t have any family at the event either, so I was able to spend some time with them at the end of the night as well.  Goodbyes are not my thing, but I think I was able to thank most of the students properly.  For those that have addresses, I was able to get a few.  I plan on sending a letter to them in a few weeks to check up on them and make sure they are doing well.

Shaz and I with our teacher, Ms. Tembsi.

The rest of the week has been filled with papers and essays, so I feel like there is not much else to talk about.  If you want to discuss things like the political rhetoric post-Polokwane, I will converse with you about the topic when I am back in the States.  I will leave tomorrow and head back with a stop in Johannesburg and New York before finally making it back to Minneapolis.  I have an eight hour layover in New York which I am excited about also because I have never been to the Big Apple.  I am hoping to stop and check out Time square.  I have to switch from JFK to La Guardia airports.  I am checking things out with the others I am travelling with, so hopefully we can at least see a little of the city before heading back home completely. 

Like I said before, things will get fast in a few days.  I am probably ready to go home, but I am actually feeling somber about leaving.  I’ll be busy working and getting ready for football this summer.  School will be even more hectic with classes, football, and the job search.  I will have to join the rest of the world in a year.  The time here has allowed me to grow greatly as a person.  I have made some great friends and I hope I am a much more well-rounded person.  I have grown to love South Africa.  There will always be a place in me for the country.  Living and studying here has permitted me to see all different aspects of the country.  The country is young by many standards.  There are growing pains, but I see a lot of good in the people that live here.  I have made some great connections that I will continue to stay in touch with.  Hopefully we will cross paths again. 

I want to thank you all one more time for reading.  It means a lot to have so many people that care.  I look forward to seeing you all once I return. 

The sun setting on South Africa one more time.

One last time, cheers!
Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment